Saturday, December 17, 2016

Soul Waterman announces custom boat design (brings up good memories)

Way back in November 2007, I as playing with Photoshop, and decided to stretch out the Dragorossi Pintail.  I loved that boat, and wanted to see what it looked like in longer lengths.  I thought it would make a great 10' cruiser.

Further back, in the fall of 1997, I was working on a custom play boat for myself. I stumbled upon Corran Addison's website for his (at the time) new company, Riot Kayaks.  We started email corranspondence about boat design, which heavily influenced my final boat.  Of course, I was new to shaping foam and laying up composites while he was light years ahead of my back yard garage operation.  So, in January 1998 I drove to Canada to meet him.  I have had many inspiring design discussions with Corran since that time.

If I were to design a boat again, I'd take advantage of his decades of knowledge in both design and manufacturing.   Earlier this week, Corran announced that he will make custom kayaks, based on individual feedback.  http://www.soulwaterman.com/products/custom-kayaks


from his website:

"How do I communicate with the designer what I want my boat to do?

Believe it or not, this isn't that hard. As long as you're honest about what you want the boat to do, your skills, your size and weight, and how you want to use it, it's pretty easy to create something awesome for you. That's where our experience comes in.

The hardest part is separating what you "think" you're going to do with the boat, versus what you'll actually be doing with it (there is no point getting a boat for the Montreal Lachines if you live on the Ocoee for example, paddle on the Ocoee every day, and travel to Montreal once every 3 years).

If you can't do a Phonix Monkey, but you tail squirt every eddy you pass, don't get a boat that's awesome at Phonix Monkeys. Get a great squirting boat. Be honest with yourself about how and where you paddle, and we can make you something truly remarkable, and something that is uniquely yours."



No comments: